Make some room on your nightstand for our favorite transformative titles.
Download the app
Fitness memberships, workout classes, wellness services, beauty appointments and more.
Astrology is an ancient language that utilizes planetary bodies, zodiac signs, and houses to communicate a unique cosmic signature known as your birth chart. The birth chart maps out the position of the sun, moon, planets, and stars at the specific time and place of your birth. Ever wonder why the full moon messes with your vibes? This is what provides the framework for your individuality, relationships (your soulmate could be written in stars), and life purpose.
In your birth chart, the three main planetary points that outline your everyday personality are your sun, moon, and rising. Most everyone knows their sun sign, but many are not as familiar with their moon and rising sign. This is why the question “What’s your sign?” is so much more complex than the simple answer of “I’m a Libra.”
So, what is the best way to answer your sign question? By learning what your sun, moon, and rising sign really mean and then finding out which of the 12 zodiac signs they occupy in your birth chart. Understanding this can influence everything from booking the best workouts for your sign (Leo, get ready to put the pedal to the metal), to finding the wellness and beauty treatments that fit your zodiac flow.
The sun, moon, and rising are found within a specific zodiac sign in your birth chart. The 12 zodiac signs are associated with an elemental property (earth, water, air, fire), a fundamental quality (cardinal, mutable, fixed), and a planetary ruler. The combination of these provides the basis for exploration of how these planetary points express themselves in your life... and the balance between your seven dimensions of wellness.
The sun is your identity. It is the essence that you shine out into the world. It represents the vital force that drives you to seek the highest expression of your true self. Your sun sign is how you answer the question “I am” and how you experience life and express your individuality. These sentiments might come to mind as you practice yoga. It also represents the type of energy that you need to feel revitalized. For example, your sun sign’s element is helpful in understanding your self-expression tendencies and how you recharge.
If your sun is an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you love to express yourself intellectually and often recharge in social settings. How about some group fitness with friends?
If your sun is a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are motivated by inspirations and aspirations and recharge through physical activity (like a virtual workout) and by pursuing your goals.
If your sun is an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are motivated by material needs and practicality and recharge through working with the physical world, being productive, and feeding your senses. Essential oils might just do the trick.
If your sun is a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are motivated by deep emotional desires and recharge through emotional experiences (try being mindful with meditation) and intimate involvement with people.
To find out what sign your sun is in, look for the ☉ symbol on your birth chart and use the guide below to interpret the sign glyph.
The moon is the soul behind your identity. It is the subconscious side of yourself that you typically keep hidden and is the driving force behind your emotional reactions. Your moon sign helps you feel pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, and gives insight into how you nurture and restore yourself. These happiness hacks always help me. It is the mecca of your inner world. For example, your moon sign’s element is helpful in understanding your inner world and how you typically react in emotional situations.
If your moon is in an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you react to changing experiences with discernment and objective evaluation. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing ideas and interacting socially. Could a new yoga practice could increase your creativity?
If your moon is in a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you react to changing experiences with direct action and excitement. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing confidence, ditching the negative self-talk, and showing strength.
If your moon is in an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you react to changing experiences with steadiness and stability. A strong core workout could help with that. You feel most aligned with your inner world when being productive and working towards a goal.
If your moon is a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you react to changing experiences with sensitivity and emotion. You feel most aligned with your inner self when feelings are deeply involved. But don’t forget to prioritize your self-love!
To find out what sign your moon is in, look for this ☽ symbol on your birth chart.
Rising sign (also known as your Ascendant) is your social personality. It is how you dawn on people as it relates to the zodiac sign that was on the Eastern horizon when you were born. Your rising sign represents your physical body and outward style. It is the manifestation of both your inner and outer world, which can define the balance between your seven dimensions. For example, your rising sign’s element is helpful in understanding the type of energy that drives your physical body and overall approach to life.
If your rising is in an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you are mentally quick, inquisitive, friendly, and prefer to express yourself verbally. You often approach life with the desire to understand the meaning of what or whom you encounter, and that includes being intentional with your movement.
If your rising is in a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are action-oriented, confident, and often blunt. You often have great vitality and physical energy, especially when striving to make your mark in the world. Trust me, you’ll want to tap into that physical energy in your next workout.
If your rising is in an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are matter-of-fact and tend to focus on the material world. You often have a steadfast approach to life that can be a grounding force (especially during stressful times) for many.
If your rising is in a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are sensitive, empathetic, and easily influenced by your environment (say hello to more plants in your home). You often have an approach to life that is deeply rooted in your emotional body.
Birth time and location plays a critical role in determining your rising sign. Make sure those are accurate and then look to the line on the eastern horizon of your birth chart which is also be the cusp of your 1st house.
Developing a deep awareness of your sun, moon, and rising is a great place to start in understanding your personal astrology. If you are interested in learning more, join my Cosmic Soul Membership club. Happy exploring!
It’s safe to say, the way we conquer our daily routines has changed drastically over the last few months. The way we perform our jobs, how we socialize—even the way we workout—have flipped from in-person, group settings to virtual platforms to keep us safe and healthy. There's no denying that navigating this new normal has certainly come with its ups and downs, to say the least. In fact, a recent survey revealed one-third of Americans said this pandemic has caused more stress and anxiety in their lives, which isn’t surprising given the circumstances.
With anxiety levels at a high, people need relaxation, self-care, and movement more than ever. Enter yoga.
Yoga has long been touted for its amazing ability to calm the mind and help folks stay in-tune with their body—which is probably why more and more people are embracing an at-home practice.
Whether you’re looking for a powerful Vinyasa class to help kickstart your morning or yearning for a gentle, evening flow to wind down after a busy workday, taking a yoga class is now more accessible than ever. With 91% of group fitness studios offering or planning to offer live stream and/or on-demand classes, those who are ready to get their asana on have plenty of yoga classes to try all over the country.
While there’s no place like om, most of us could go for a little virtual vacation right now. I know I could! Ready to get a taste of what yoga classes are like all over the country? Here are the U.S. cities with the most virtual yoga classes available.
It seems poetic that Chicago hits our number one spot on this list because it was the first city in America that was introduced to yoga back in 1893. Swami Vivekananda presented yoga at the World Parliament of Religions and made a speech on the concept of body, spirit, and mind. It seems the presentation made a lasting impression on the city.
Try getting your Zen on with one of these studios:
• The Lab Yoga
• Bottom Line Yoga
• Bare Feet Power Yoga
Everyone knows that Washington DC is where you can visit some of the world’s most famous monuments, memorials, and museums. But you may be surprised to learn that it also offers one of the most robust libraries of virtual classes to help yogis sample some classes at the nation’s capital.
Houston is one of the most culturally diverse cities in America—in fact, you can folks speaking 145 different languages and thousands of restaurants serving up food from more than 70 countries. If those facts have you working up quite an appetite, feel free to indulge. They also have plenty of virtual yoga classes available to help you torch some calories.
Did you know one of the first businesses to open in the City of Brotherly Love was a brewery in 1683? If you’re familiar with the ever-evolving trends of yoga, then you have most likely heard of or participated in beer yoga sesh. Get ready to try yoga the Philly way by cracking a cold one and doing some downward dogs in the comfort of your own home at the end of the day.
New York City is home to 8.4 million people, making it the most densely populated city in the entire nation. With that many people, you know there must be a ton of yogis looking to relax from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Start spreading the news and flowing with some of the most dedicated yogis in the U.S.—there are a ton of virtual yoga classes to choose from in the Big Apple.
Get ready to make some virtual yoga neighbors. Did you know that Columbus, Ohio is considered the heart of the country? The reason for that is because nearly half of the America’s residents live within a 600-mile radius of the city. Ready to put your heart and soul into your at-home yoga practice? Then check out what this city has to offer virtually.
San Diego is known as one of the happiest cities in America—mainly because of the beautiful weather, picturesque beaches, and the abundance of yoga classes available. While a vacation to this area may not be in the books for this year, you can certainly flow with the best of them by booking a virtual class at a San Diego studio.
This list is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the yoga studios offering virtual classes to help you stay fit, healthy, and calm during the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope these offerings inspire you to either start a new at-home practice or are helping you seasoned yogis continue your path to wellness. Interested in seeing what other cities are hosting a bevy of online yoga classes? The options on Mindbody are endless—literally!