A letter to our Mindbody community
Download the app
Fitness memberships, workout classes, wellness services, beauty appointments and more.
Astrology is an ancient language that utilizes planetary bodies, zodiac signs, and houses to communicate a unique cosmic signature known as your birth chart. The birth chart maps out the position of the sun, moon, planets, and stars at the specific time and place of your birth. Ever wonder why the full moon messes with your vibes? This is what provides the framework for your individuality, relationships (your soulmate could be written in stars), and life purpose.
In your birth chart, the three main planetary points that outline your everyday personality are your sun, moon, and rising. Most everyone knows their sun sign, but many are not as familiar with their moon and rising sign. This is why the question “What’s your sign?” is so much more complex than the simple answer of “I’m a Libra.”
So, what is the best way to answer your sign question? By learning what your sun, moon, and rising sign really mean and then finding out which of the 12 zodiac signs they occupy in your birth chart. Understanding this can influence everything from booking the best workouts for your sign (Leo, get ready to put the pedal to the metal), to finding the wellness and beauty treatments that fit your zodiac flow.
The sun, moon, and rising are found within a specific zodiac sign in your birth chart. The 12 zodiac signs are associated with an elemental property (earth, water, air, fire), a fundamental quality (cardinal, mutable, fixed), and a planetary ruler. The combination of these provides the basis for exploration of how these planetary points express themselves in your life... and the balance between your seven dimensions of wellness.
The sun is your identity. It is the essence that you shine out into the world. It represents the vital force that drives you to seek the highest expression of your true self. Your sun sign is how you answer the question “I am” and how you experience life and express your individuality. These sentiments might come to mind as you practice yoga. It also represents the type of energy that you need to feel revitalized. For example, your sun sign’s element is helpful in understanding your self-expression tendencies and how you recharge.
If your sun is an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you love to express yourself intellectually and often recharge in social settings. How about some group fitness with friends?
If your sun is a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are motivated by inspirations and aspirations and recharge through physical activity (like a virtual workout) and by pursuing your goals.
If your sun is an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are motivated by material needs and practicality and recharge through working with the physical world, being productive, and feeding your senses. Essential oils might just do the trick.
If your sun is a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are motivated by deep emotional desires and recharge through emotional experiences (try being mindful with meditation) and intimate involvement with people.
To find out what sign your sun is in, look for the ☉ symbol on your birth chart and use the guide below to interpret the sign glyph.
The moon is the soul behind your identity. It is the subconscious side of yourself that you typically keep hidden and is the driving force behind your emotional reactions. Your moon sign helps you feel pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, and gives insight into how you nurture and restore yourself. These happiness hacks always help me. It is the mecca of your inner world. For example, your moon sign’s element is helpful in understanding your inner world and how you typically react in emotional situations.
If your moon is in an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you react to changing experiences with discernment and objective evaluation. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing ideas and interacting socially. Could a new yoga practice could increase your creativity?
If your moon is in a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you react to changing experiences with direct action and excitement. You feel most aligned with your inner self when expressing confidence, ditching the negative self-talk, and showing strength.
If your moon is in an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you react to changing experiences with steadiness and stability. A strong core workout could help with that. You feel most aligned with your inner world when being productive and working towards a goal.
If your moon is a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you react to changing experiences with sensitivity and emotion. You feel most aligned with your inner self when feelings are deeply involved. But don’t forget to prioritize your self-love!
To find out what sign your moon is in, look for this ☽ symbol on your birth chart.
Rising sign (also known as your Ascendant) is your social personality. It is how you dawn on people as it relates to the zodiac sign that was on the Eastern horizon when you were born. Your rising sign represents your physical body and outward style. It is the manifestation of both your inner and outer world, which can define the balance between your seven dimensions. For example, your rising sign’s element is helpful in understanding the type of energy that drives your physical body and overall approach to life.
If your rising is in an air sign:
- Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius: you are mentally quick, inquisitive, friendly, and prefer to express yourself verbally. You often approach life with the desire to understand the meaning of what or whom you encounter, and that includes being intentional with your movement.
If your rising is in a fire sign:
- Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius: you are action-oriented, confident, and often blunt. You often have great vitality and physical energy, especially when striving to make your mark in the world. Trust me, you’ll want to tap into that physical energy in your next workout.
If your rising is in an earth sign:
- Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn: you are matter-of-fact and tend to focus on the material world. You often have a steadfast approach to life that can be a grounding force (especially during stressful times) for many.
If your rising is in a water sign:
- Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces: you are sensitive, empathetic, and easily influenced by your environment (say hello to more plants in your home). You often have an approach to life that is deeply rooted in your emotional body.
Birth time and location plays a critical role in determining your rising sign. Make sure those are accurate and then look to the line on the eastern horizon of your birth chart which is also be the cusp of your 1st house.
Developing a deep awareness of your sun, moon, and rising is a great place to start in understanding your personal astrology. If you are interested in learning more, join my Cosmic Soul Membership club. Happy exploring!
Tipping. While it can be a taboo topic that no one really wants to talk about publicly, the fact is, it’s a very important one that shouldn’t (and can’t) be avoided. This is all too true, especially now, when it comes to beauty services. Even before, “all of this” happened, there appeared to be some ambiguity about exactly how much to tip, when, what’s a respectable amount, and why. Now that we’ve tried our best at #homebeauty, it’s time to head back to the salons, spas, and other boutique beauty businesses (if you haven’t already). We’re here to guide you through gratuity in the new normal and why tipping a little extra to show your stylists and service providers you care during this tough time is the right thing to do.
To make sure we get you all the right answers, we asked around about it (so you don’t have to). Turns out, our Instagram followers had a lot to say about how to tip your stylists and show them some extra love right now.
Here’s what you think:
79% of you said you’ve been tipping more for beauty services recently. We’re all so grateful for our stylists—with split ends, grown-out roots, out-of-control brows, and terrible home-cut bangs to prove it. And now that many of us can return to our salons and spas, we’re appreciating the ones who help us feel beautiful even more right now.
We got a range of responses to this question. Some said they tip 5% more than they previously did, and many said 25%-35% total! Not only are these stylists actual artists, but they’re providing services we just can’t do ourselves. On top of that, many had to close their doors for several months, many were displaced as their salons shut down for good, and all of them are trying their best to get back to a sense of normalcy and do what they do best—help us look and feel beautiful. So, take this as a guide. Tip what you can but remember how much these wonderful people do for us.
When it comes to trying new services, 69% of you gave it a big fat NO, while 31% remain intrigued. It makes sense that many would stick to their go-tos right now, as salons are just starting to reopen in some areas or may not be open yet at all.
Depending on where you live and your overall health, you might be sticking with the bare minimum for now. But if your city has put in place safe reopening guidelines and measures, and you feel ready to head back out there, you can do so safely at a Mindbody salon. And you may be interested in trying out some new services right now as a way to show your local salons some extra support. If that’s you, browse beauty on the Mindbody app—and filter your categories to find out what’s out there.
Another way you can support your stylists right now? Shopping. It’s the safest way to show them some love without actually going in for a treatment. Many salons offer pre-payment on the Mindbody app and curbside pickup or a plethora of shipping methods, so you can keep contact to a minimum as much as possible. Plus, they have some pretty great stuff. If you need to invest in a good shampoo—especially because you haven’t gotten your hair done in months—so why not buy it from your stylist? According to our poll, it’s a pretty even split. 55% of you haven’t bought any products yet, while the other 45% have been shopping away. If you’re part of that 55, consider checking out your salon’s product offerings (you might see something you like).
Finally, we asked you all open-endedly how else you’re supporting your stylists right now. We got a lot of great answers. There was a lot of overlap, but we thought you might like to see some of the ones that stood out. So, if we didn’t cover it all so far, we’re about to—because you all are awesome and you did it for us. Here are some of the great ideas you had:
• “Paying in advance!”
• “Being more diligent about scheduling appointments versus letting my hair grow out”
• “Referring friends!”
• “Being flexible” (this is a good one—check out the 5 things your stylist wants you to know before you book)
• “Scheduling my next cut before I leave!”
• “Sharing their photos on Instagram and telling friends!”
So, if you’re a stylist reading this, thank you. We all want to continue showing you support during this time and beyond. And if you’re a regular person like me who really needs her highlights done, just schedule the damn appointment already (if you feel comfortable) or buy some purple shampoo from your favorite salon.