Stick with Your Goals from the Start
How will you conquer your resolutions?
Download the app
Fitness memberships, workout classes, wellness services, beauty appointments and more.
Autumn’s inviting blue skies, crisp cold air and mesmerising colours of greens, reds, and browns can be enough of a prompt for anyone to get outside and get active. However, it can also be the start of a season-long fight against the temptation of comfort foods, festive meals, and sweets. Before your willpower gets tossed away in a pile of chocolate wrappers on Halloween, know that you can still enjoy some sweet treats and be healthy, too!
We’ve teamed up with Innermost Protein to help you stay on the wellness path this season, even when friends and colleagues come bearing bite-size sugar that haunt your best intentions.
Stock up on healthy snacks, like whole nuts, dates and rice cakes, as well as fresh produce. Put these nibbles within reach to make them easily accessible and the only option to ward off hunger or temptations to dive into something stickier and sweeter.
Pro tip: Mix sweet and savoury for a multi-craving buster. Also, plan a quick and healthy dinner—if you fill up on protein, veggies, and whole grains you’re less likely to reach for rubbish.
Fit in a workout. It could be a busier day than usual if you’re expecting a conveyor belt of trick-or-treaters, but nothing will make you feel more accomplished or program you to stay on track like a good sweat! Search for a class in the MINDBODY app by your location and time preference to make squeezing in a workout more achievable.
When it comes to the main event, try these Halloween-themed recipes by Innermost to keep all the fun of trick or treating in, but the nasties out.
- 1/4 cup of any Innermost chocolate protein powder
- Splash of water
- 1/8 cup ground almonds
- 1/8 cup peanut butter
- 40g melted chocolate – dark, milk or white for outer layer of cups
- Mix protein powder, water, almonds, and peanut butter together in a medium-size bowl until a dough forms. Add more almonds if dough is too wet or water if dough is too dry.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute in the microwave on medium heat. Stir and return to microwave for 15-20 second intervals until evenly melted and smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into your Halloween moulds or paper-lined miniature muffin cups and add a small spoonful of dough. Cover each mould or muffin cup with melted chocolate.
- Set in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 15-20 minutes and enjoy!
- 200ml of almond milk
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/2 green apple
- 1/8 avocado
- 1 large frozen spinach ball
- 30g of any of Innermost’s vanilla protein powders
- 5g of Innermost’s The Health Plus supergreen protein powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend of medium speed for 45 seconds or until the mixture is clear. Add more ice for a thicker consistency or more almond milk for a thinner consistency.
- Pour smoothie into a cup and garnish with fruit or vegetable of your choice.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 400g cottage cheese
- 100g of 0% Fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Orange zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 40g of any of Innermost’s vanilla protein powders
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 big pots of 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt
- 1 cup of any of Innermost’s vanilla protein powders
- 4 tablespoons of coconut flour
- Bar of dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Place all ingredients for the base in a food processor and process until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Press into the bottom of a small 6-8 inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven to cool.
- In a large bowl, blend all cheesecake filling ingredients with a mixer until smooth. Pour onto the chilled base.
- Bake cheesecake for about 40 minutes or until it cooks through but is still a bit soft in the centre. Cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- Mix frosting ingredients together in a large bowl with a mixer. Remove cheesecake from refrigerator and top with frosting.
- To create a spider web on the cheesecake, melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute in the microwave on medium heat. Stir and return to microwave for 15-20 second intervals until evenly melted and smooth.
- Use a spoon or spatula to drizzle melted chocolate onto the frosting to create a spider web, drizzling chocolate lines from the middle outward. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Let the dark chocolate web cool before serving.
Remember to stick with your healthy routine. You may have given in to temptation at some point (you’re human after all!), but you’re still a success. Autumn does not have to signal upcoming bouts of diet and fitness abandon, so get your fitness back on track and enjoy everything that this season has to offer.