How will you conquer your resolutions?
Fruity, frozen, or on the rocks, margaritas can be a treat any way you shake ‘em. But, they could be better for you.
Before you celebrate National Margarita Day at your local bar, restaurant (or at home!), keep the fiesta going all year long with these five mixes that will save you calories!
Just eight ounces of a standard margarita can clock in at around 455 calories – yikes! Lighten up your drink by keeping it simple with this three ingredient, low-calorie cocktail.
- 2 ounces Avión Silver or Reposado
- 1 part fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce agave nectar
- 1 lime wheel, for garnish
- Combine first three ingredients in shaker with ice, shake vigorously.
- Fine-strain over fresh ice.
- Garnish with lime wheel.
Everything in moderation, except avocado. Get your superfood and drink it too with the Drunken Avocado—your go-to, gut-friendly green drink!
- 2 tbsp avocado
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup cubed pineapple, plus more for garnish
- 3 lime wedges
- 2 cilantro sprigs
- 1 oz. tequila
- In a shaker, muddle the avocado, ginger, pineapple, lime, and cilantro.
- Fill with ice, add the tequila, and shake well.
- Double strain in a glass over ice and garnish with a handful of pineapple cubes, For an extra kick, add the Chili Salt Rim.
While it’s great for treating sunburns, Aloe Vera is an even better cocktail ingredient! With benefits such as boosting your immune system and digestion, Aloe will cool you and your skin down. It’s a lot of steps, but totally worth it – we promise!
- 2 ounces tequila blanco
- 3 ounces aloe juice
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp pink himalayan sea salt
- Aloe plant, for garnish
- 2 ounces margarita mix
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lime juice
- Remove aloe stalk from plant and trim the bottom with a sharp knife. Set aside.
- Make homemade margarita mix: squeeze the lime juice into a bowl or measuring cup. Heat the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Let the mixture cool a bit before adding in the lime juice, mix together, and pour into a bottle. Refrigerate the mix for up to two weeks.
- On a small plate, mix up salt, cayenne pepper, and pink Himalayan sea salt. Cut a lime wedge and run it along the rim of a rocks glass.
- Roll the rim of the glass around in the salt mixture. Set aside.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine homemade margarita mix, tequila, and aloe juice. Shake vigorously, strain and pour into salt rimmed rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with aloe stalks and serve.
Elevate your energy with a mean kombucha-rita! You heard it right, your fave fizzy, probiotic tea just got a lot more fun.
- 2 oz. of tequila
- 3 oz. of ginger kombucha
- 1 oz. of triple sec
- ¼ of a lime, squeezed
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Add tequila, ginger kombucha, triple sec and squeeze the quarter lime.
- Stir lightly until all liquids have mixed.
Want a tasty treat, without the booze? For those who enjoy their beverages sans alcohol, it’s a good idea to have this recipe on hand.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mango
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup simple syrup
- ½ cup water
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. If your mango is very frozen, you may need to add even more water to make it thin enough to drink.
- Garnish with lime and enjoy. To make the boozy version, just pour in some tequila and stir or blend.
This National Margarita Day, steer clear of the corn syrup and serve up some siesta-worthy sips for the whole squad!