Need a mental break? These are our go-to spots.
Download the app
Fitness memberships, workout classes, wellness services, beauty appointments and more.
From new healthy eats to fitness studio expansions, there’s no stopping Denver’s wellness scene. Lucky for you, we’ve kept tabs on all the need-to-know developments so you won’t miss a beat.
The folks behind the bougie Surf Lodge in the Hamptons are heading to the mountains with a similar concept. Snow Lodge is popping up this winter (December 26 to April 26) with fresh, local eats and sips at the base of Aspen Mountain. Surf Lodge chef Robert Seiber headed to Aspen himself to oversee the menu and load it up with the best of what’s in season and what locals like to nosh. The menu changes frequently, but expect plates filled with everything from seared river-caught fish to vegan “cheese” fondue.
Another week, another sweat spot opening! Minnesota-based Alchemy 365 has officially opened its second Colorado studio. The boutique gym that fuses strength, yoga, and cardio into a full-body workout set up shop at 41st and Tennyson in Berkeley in January. Be one of the first to get in on the action and score a discounted founding membership.
Rumors have been swirling around the city that super-healthy, scratch-made salad chain Sweetgreen is headed our way. And now we’ve got more scoop—Sweetgreen has secured two Denver locations! They’ll be serving up their epic salads at 275 St. Paul in Cherry Creek and at The Coloradan (1750 Wewatta) in LoDo. Timing and more details are still TBD, but it’s definitely a cause for excitement.
Backed by the likes of A-Rod and J.Lo, a brand-new spot to sweat is headed our way. TruFusion, a boutique concept that started in Vegas and is rapidly expanding across the country, is now bringing the heat to the new 9 & CO. development at 9th and Colorado. Variety is the spice of life to the studio, as they offer more than 65 class formats, everything from bootcamp, cycling, and battle ropes to TRX, yoga, and barre. Expect an early 2020 opening.
The folks who made dancing at dawn cool are hitting the road. That’s right—Daybreaker is taking their healthy dose of mischief on tour. But this isn’t any old tour. Daybreaker is hitching a ride with Oprah to bring the party (and possibly some yoga) to her 2020 Vision Tour, including acting as the pre-show hype at the Pepsi Center on March 7.
A brand new 12,000-square-foot urban farm, eatery, and marketplace has taken over Bill’s Auto Service on Old South Hampden—it’s called Grow + Gather. Expect a celebration of all things local with a greenhouse, restaurant, coffee shop, artisan market, and event space. While there’s still some work to be done on the facility, the eatery, dubbed The Feedery Kitchen and Market, is open for breakfast, lunch, coffee, and some grab-and-go grocery shopping.
If you love sushi but hate the whole raw fish part, then we’ve got just the solution for you: vegan sushi. You read that right—Wellness Sushi has started rolling plant-based sushi in Denver. Founded by a former sushi chef and his wife, the healthy hot spot debuted at a pop-up in November at Alternation Brewing Co., but you can find it now at Choice Market and Nooch Vegan Market. Oh, and they also offer catering and delivery.
CBD is popping up at all our favorite restaurants, including cozy coffee spot Blue Sparrow. In addition to coffee and kombucha, they’ve got Sträva CBD coffee on tap. And if you haven’t been able to find space in their RiNo shop, then get excited because Blue Sparrow has opened up a second location. Check them out on the ground floor of the Circa building at 1615 Platte St.
Practice a little #selfcare this year with an energizing flow and super healthy sips. Lacuna combines a yoga studio and juice bar under one sweet roof, and it's rolling out nourishing new menu items! Even better, everything is organic, vegan, and free of dairy and gluten, so you can nosh away no matter your restrictions or preferences!
A brand-new bakery is headed our way from Berkeley (the one in California, not the Highlands). Third Culture Bakery serves up better-for-you baked donuts, plus premium matcha, and their famous Mochi Muffin. Why do we like ’em? Because they care a whole lot about what they put (and don’t put) in their goods. The shop in the Aurora Cultural Arts District will be their first non-California outpost, and you can expect to start seeing the goodies by this summer.
It hasn’t been long since AKT dropped into Cherry Creek. And it didn’t take them any time at all to realize that Denver is digging what they do. Now, the dance fitness brand created by celebrity trainer Anna Kaiser is opening a second location in RiNo! Get ready to break a sweat, bust a move, and tone all the things. Stay tuned for presale opps and an opening date!
A Breck-born pizza spot has built quite a following from the plant-based crowd in Summit County, and they’re about to spread the love. Piante Pizzeria is bringing its vegan pizza to Denver! Get ready for New York-style, wood-fired pizzas with organic, local, and seasonal toppings, homemade sauces, dairy-free cheeses (like smoked cashew mozzarella and house-made ricotta), and meat-free options like shiitake mushroom bacon. They're easing into Denver with a series of pop-ups before opening the door to their brick-and-mortar spot, but stay tuned for the location and opening date!
Things are weird. Times are changing. It seems like just when we’re starting to get a grip, there’s another surprise. When it comes to beauty, we've had to adapt on our own due to salon closures, keep an eye on preparations and protocol changes during those closures, try to know what we’re doing before booking an appointment once they reopened, and maybe even brave the journey back to the salon. Whether you live in a place where salons are open, you’ve experienced a second shutdown, or you straight up haven’t had a haircut since March, we can all probably agree that we’re expecting some differences in the salon and spa world thanks to COVID.
We wanted to gauge how everyone is thinking and feeling about all this, so we put out a poll on our Instagram, asking you all what you expect from beauty salons right now.
Here’s what you had to say...
53% of you have returned to the hair salon by now, while 47% of you have not. This makes sense, because every area of the country is different when it comes to cases, closures, and mandates, and every person is different when it comes to risk and safety.
While many hair salons have begun operating outdoors due to government regulations, 58% of you said you’re fine with getting your haircut indoors, while the other 42% are more comfortable keeping it outside.
58% of you said you’d rather go to your hair salon than have your stylist come to you. I get it, home is a safe space, probably shouldn’t let any outsiders in.
69% of you said you’re “totally!” going to tip more for services once you start receiving them again. During this time without our stylists and aestheticians, I think we all realized how much we need them and appreciate them, and many of us are willing to show them a little extra gratitude to make up for the time we spent apart.
But, most of you aren’t. 56% of you said you have not cut or colored your own or a friend’s hair, because it was too risky, while the other 44% just “had to!”
Only 29% of you have returned to nail salons, while the rest are sticking to at-home manicures. Maybe we’re all just getting really good at it? But probably, it’s because a lot of them are still closed down, or because it’s a little more difficult to get a pedicure outdoors (we need our massage chairs!).
Our last poll question asked about what differences you’ve all noticed when heading back to the salon, and you all had a lot to say...
It’s a beautiful thing to see how the salon and spa community has come together, taken precautions, and adjustments, all so they can continue to help us look and feel our best. If you haven’t spoken to your stylist lately (or even if you have), don’t forget to shoot them a thank you and let them know you appreciate them.