When it comes to fitness, luck and chance aren’t really part of the equation.
It's already November (where did 2017 go?), and with what feels like a to-do list a mile long, we thought this time of year would be the perfect opportunity to stop, take a break, and count our blessings. With that in mind, I compiled a list of “activities” to challenge myself, my acquaintances—and anyone reading this—to focus on the power of gratitude through 14 actions.
My list was created in hopes each item might spread a little extra positivity in someone's day (yourself included!). Whether it's before a morning meeting, at the gym, or as you are getting ready for bed, the exercises below can have the potential to set a mindful, positive tone during any day—and hopefully in the months ahead!
1. Pen Pals: Handwrite a postcard to a faraway friend that you haven't talked to in a while and tell them why you miss them.
2. Pillow Talk: Before bed, write down one thing you are thankful for from the day, including a motivational word of choice. Tape it to your mirror for the morning.
3. No Bad Words: Go without saying anything negative about yourself for one day.
4. Ring, Ring: Pick up the phone and give a close family member a call just to say “I love you.”
5. Extra Admiration: After your next group fitness class, high-five someone who did a great job and let them know how they motivated you to work harder.
6. Making Moves: When you're alone, take that one song that always makes you smile, turn it up and just dance it out.
7. Post It: Handwrite a positive quote or lyric you love, take a picture and post it, unfiltered, to your social media accounts.
8. Baker’s Dozen: Surprise someone who has been there for you recently with a homemade treat, like these delicious Chocolate-dipped Clementines.
9. Say Cheese: Take a picture of yourself and say—out loud—four things you love about you.
10. Take a Break: Surprise a co-worker that you don't talk to a lot and ask them if they want to grab a midday coffee or tea. Pumpkin Spice Latte, anyone?
11. Goal Getter: Write down one thing you truly want to accomplish in 2018, stick it in an old picture frame, and place it somewhere where you will regularly remind yourself of your goal.
12. Sun Seeker: Pick an early evening where you go to a quiet spot somewhere outside to watch the sunset alone. As the sun dips down below the horizon, describe the view out loud in one word.
13. Hey There: While checking out at the store or paying your restaurant bill, take a moment to compliment the person serving you instead of rushing out the door.
14. Trip Down Memory Lane: Dig up one of your favorite childhood photos and reminisce about what made that memory so special. If you can, text or call the person(s) you experienced it with and tell them why it was so great.